10 Things to look out for in Case Management Software
February 11, 2020
Legal industry, like any other department or industry, is undergoing a drastic change driven by technology. There are several reasons behind this change – tech-enablement in cross-functional departments, change in information nature and complexity, client demands, economic changes, new technologies, tightening regulatory timelines and shifting demographics. While we are witnessing the gradual changes in legal teams, they are still trying to address the constant pressure to become innovative and achieve fast-paced processes. Last but not the least, this adoption of technology and innovation enables them to minimize the overall legal costs through efficient management of the whole legal process.
So, what can help them in achieving the agility and flexibility required? At Vertical Discovery, we believe there are a lot of moving parts in eDiscovery process. Case Management is deemed crucial because of the manual efforts involved and the rise in the complexity of the information – be it case related, or custodian related. To stay competitive, legal teams require a comprehensive and automated approach for case and matter management across the organization.
In this blog, we will talk about how the best Case Management practices look like, how teams should select the right Case Management software. Let’s get started –
What do best Case Management practices look like and how teams can get there?
Case Management has become complex and tedious process owing to the information variety and velocity. Lot of legal teams are still working through manual processes for managing cases and creating flawed practices resulting into high costs and losing or missing critical data. With the advent of automation, Case Management is now structured and digitized. Here’s the checklist for the best Case Management practices
Once you have your checklist for Case Management in place, teams can scout for right Case Management software or eDiscovery software that encompasses all your requirements. Here are few must-have features for your Case Management Software –
- Real-Time Updates – With the increased complexity of legal cases and matters, it becomes necessity to track real-time updates regarding the progress of matters across portfolio. This keeps team on the same page, avoiding any confusion or misunderstanding. It also helps the leadership team to intervene much sooner to take appropriate actions.
- Custodian Validation – Manual validation of custodians, while adding to cases, may lead to erroneous results causing confusion. The ideal case management software must integrate with human resource management systems like SAP, Workday and SuccessFactors to get all custodian related information for automatic validation to avoid any errors.
- Data Source Integration –The ideal case management software must also integrate with enterprise data sources like Microsoft Exchange Server, Office 365 and SharePoint, making it easy to automatically validate names of custodians against their data including documents, emails and more.
- Intelligent Monitoring – The process of Case Management involves lot of lengthy processes involving multiple parties/teams. This can overwhelm the teams, leading to missed deadlines. Case Management software with Intelligent Monitoring can help teams to stay on top of litigation-related deadlines with proactive alerts and customized, schedulable reports.
- Organize Portfolio – Case Management software must come with portfolio organizer to create, manage and efficiently organize all the matters and cases, in your portfolio. This helps in storing all case related information at one place, including legal notices, documents, and approvals. This must be aligned with the role-based permissions so that the users can see and manage only the cases assigned to them.
- Request Tracker – Another must-have feature for Case Management software is an easy-to-use request tracker to coordinate requests, response times and compliance across multiple departments and teams, including legal, eDiscovery, IT and HR, from within a single central interface.
- Interactive Dashboards – An interactive dashboard with one-stop case management provides all the details related to matters including matter types, custodian details and case roles. This also helps in creating knowledge-sharing across teams and build knowledge-repository across organization
- Approvals and Permissions – Case Management involves a lot of approvals and permissions making it difficult to keep track of them. With integrated approvals and alert mechanism for approvals and user role permissions, it becomes easy to keep track of approvals and permissions
- Sensitive Matters – Case Management software must also enable the handling of sensitive matters and their investigation. With features to hide any information from unauthorized users, they can enable organizations handle sensitive matters with ease, without leaking information that can later get into the public domain.
- Privacy – Case Management software should also have features for easily enforcing geographically specific privacy settings to comply with regulations, including CCPA, GDPR and the other privacy regulations.
The rate at which the data explosion is happening, adopting new software powered by automation is crucial for legal teams to cope up with the increased challenges presented by this data. Evaluating the right software, adopting it for usage and investing time and efforts in training tackles all the litigation related challenges of your business in the long run at a much lower investment. At Vertical Discovery, our team of eDiscovery experts help our clients to navigate their critical eDiscovery journey. Our proprietary end-to-end eDiscovery platform Optimum provides all the above Case Management features and much more. So, if you are looking for an end-to-end Case Management software, we are here to help. Get in touch with us.